- Instagram is very accessible so I would reach for it as soon as I wake up or when I can’t sleep at night. And it is definitely not an ideal way to start the day or end it.
- I waste so much time on the app, even though I had only intended to check the new posts. This happens as a result of checking the popular page and/or checking friends of friends.
- Comparing my life to my friends (and their friends’ lives).
- Comparing my life to celebrities and Instagram personalities (who often pose and project fake standards).
- Becoming addicted to likes (there is a scientific study to support that), peoples’ approval, and popularity.
- Comparing my Instagram’s popularity to my friends.
- It’s a great source of gossip.
- I value my privacy (and even though I am often tempted to post, It doesn’t agree with my nature).
- It could stir up past wounds like if I’m following an ex boyfriend, or ex best friend.
- It conditions my brain to want to seek peoples’ approval.
- It could devalue a great activity just because it doesn’t look attractive on camera.
- It makes my brain filled with other people, their lives, and fake standards.
- IG tailors the popular page towards your interests which made me spend so much time on the app (Also, I followed some positive accounts that show street animals and their transformation so my popular page was filled with pictures of animal cruelty that was a source of sudden mental and emotional anguish for me).
I just woke up and felt like writing this post cause I have been going back and forth between deactivating and activating my account. Recently, I activated my account after a long period of withdrawing from IG, and I started noticing how negative my thought process has become. I am sure not everyone uses IG negatively but I feel like most are. This post is very scattered but I hope your enjoy it anyway.
9 thoughts on “12 Reasons why I deactivated Instagram”
All the ways are right…we started comparing with others, and all i could s beautiful girls who are’nt realy good luking but they do such things to get more n more comments nd followers fo their account. I just dont like all this fake popularity.
I agree, I feel so much at peace without it. Focusing on others and not focusing on our own lives is not as simple as it sounds.
Exactly…and also facebook n snapchat these apps realy takes away every1’s peace of mind.
Don’t even get me started on snap chat!!!
I agree. It takes us away quality social interactions. Which is way I feel there are so many issues in the world now because our children are learning that it’s ok to be on their phones all day and can’t have any type of real conversation with anyone. Texting can be very daunting as well.
Totally agree with you. Also it makes this generation cares about superficial things and celebrities and stuff instead of caring and being exposed to real issues.
I agree! And if Facebook wasn’t such a great way to stay connected to family, friends, and my readers, I’d probably drop it too.
I am in the same boat. I can’t disable Facebook cause it has all my extended family members (people whom I wouldn’t be able to reach by phone) but I do disable everyone from my feed, I only allow selected few.