How amazing does a fresh manicure feel?!
Metallics are making a comeback this Spring and it’s rather a glamorous one. I fell in love with Gold Medal from Sinful Colors ($2) the moment I saw it at the drug store. Gold is a perfect color to try out this trend with because it’s neutral enough to blend in with your skin tone and it’s also metallic. The color is fun, classy, and glamorous. It will give your gold jewelry a kick too!
(Right to Left…Sorry, I didn’t have the “mirror” effect)
- Nail Clipper
- Cuticle Pusher
- Cuticle Nipper
- Nail File
- Sinful Colors nail polish in Gold Medal
- Sally Hansen – Super Shine, Top Coat
- Nail Polish Remover
- Q tips – Precision Tips
- Vaseline Total Moisture Healthy Hand & Nail Conditioning Lotion
- Johnson’s Baby Oil Gel Shea and Cocoa Butter
- Take off any old nail polish with nail polish remover. Then, soak your hands in a bowl of mild hot water for 10 minutes to soften and loosen your cuticles. Feel free to substitute the bowl technique with taking a bath.
- Clip your nails to the desired length with a nail clipper. I like mine short!
- Gently push back your cuticles with the cuticle pusher. Then nip off the excess dead skin. I tend to over do this step and then regret it later. So, keep in mind that less is more with this step.
- File your nails!
- Apply one coat of the nail polish color. One coat is enough for this color since it’s not sheer. *Many people advise to apply two coats but I find that this prevents my polish from looking smooth and even.
- Apply the top coat for a glossy finish. This is the best top coat, I have ever used. It’s very shiny and it dries very quickly.
- If you are like me, and you kinda paint the polish all over your nails and skin and you end up with hands that look like a hot mess, then this step is crucial for you. Add a little nail polish remover in the nail polish remover’s lid. Then, dip the Q – tip in the nail polish remover and press firmly on the skin around your nails. *For this step I used the Precision Tips Q tips (around $3), which are basically Q tips that are enhanced for special uses. Their tips are slimmer and firmer than normal Q tips. I also tried using the generic Q tips but they were useless since their tips were bigger and softer.
- Wait until your polish dries. Then, rub the conditioning lotion into your skin. And for a little extra sass, rub your skin with gel baby oil. This product smells delicious and I find the gel form more manageable and less messy.
P. S. Go the extra mile and treat yourself to this lovely hand and arm massage. You can enhance it and perform it on yourself or just have a friend or a loved one assist you.